Roofing Prices: Roof Replacement Cost & Roof Shingles Prices
An overview of roofing prices you should expect for asphalt, wood, tile, metal and slate. Covers DIY approach and roofing estimates from a professional.
Home roofing prices can swing from high to low for a vast number of reasons, making roof replacement a renovation project that’s nearly impossible to lump into narrow cost estimates. For instance, a project for two homes with roughly the same square footage can cost twice as much the same amount of material buildout for one home, due to varied roof slope, pitch, jutting windows, chimneys, skylights, etc.
The following roofing prices focus on complete replacement and are rough estimates. Without exact details of a particular home, there is no way of knowing how these estimates will fluctuate, but if your home has a roof with few angles, a light slope, and few features, expect your roofing prices to be closer to the lower end of the spectrum.
Conversely, a complex roof with a steep slope and multiple features will likely place you near the higher end of the spectrum. For example, roofing shingle prices may be higher than tile roofing for two homes of the same square footage, simply due to the many stylistic and design workarounds.
Lastly, if you need old roofing material removed, add at least $500 to any of the following estimates.
If you'd like to compare quotes from qualified, licensed contractors in your area, click here for up to four free estimates in 20 seconds. To ensure you pay the right amount for a quality contractor, you may want to read our guide to finding the best roof installers.
What is the average price for a new roof?
Asphalt composition roofing shingle prices
- Self-installation cost: $700 to $4,000.
- Professional installation cost: $1,500 to $9,000.
Wood roofing shingle and shake prices
- Self-installation cost: $2,000 to $6,000.
- Professional installation cost: $7,000 to $15,000.
Metal roofing prices
- Self-installation cost: Self-installation is not recommended. For a rough estimate of self-installation roofing prices, divide any of the following estimates by half.
- Professional installation cost: $5,000 to $17,000 for basic interlocking steel shingles; $12,000 to $22,000 for corrosion resistant steel sheets; $12,000 to $20,000 for aluminum metal; $25,000 to $40,000 for high-end metal roofing, including copper styles.
- For more information, see our guide on the cost of a new metal roof.
Tile roofing prices
- Due to the weight of tile roofing, some homes may need extra structural support, which can add another $1,500 to the roofing prices.
- Self-installation cost: Not recommended. For a rough estimate of self-installation prices, divide any of the following estimates by half.
- Professional installation cost: $12,000 to $21,000 for clay tile; As much as $65,000 for high-end tiles.
Slate roofing prices
- Self-installation cost: Not recommended. $9,200 to $12,000.
- Professional installation cost: $23,000 to $46,000.
A roof is more than just roofing prices
Any homeowner needing a new roof should put extra emphasis on seeking as many estimates for roofing prices as possible. But don’t let the cost tell the whole story. Make sure your contractor is licensed, insured, has a permanent place of a business, and holds a track record for quality, including referrals from past clients.
About the Author Rachel Wright
Rachel Wright is an SEO content editor at Reply! with more than 10 years of editing experience. She enjoys interior design and gardening. To share home improvement ideas, find her on Google+.