Fiberglass siding vs stone siding: a comparison guide
Whether you're building your dream house, renovating your current property or making repairs, consider fiberglass siding vs stone siding.
Where do you need services?
As a homeowner, you have many options for the exterior siding of your home. You can choose from fiberglass, brick, stone, wood, stucco, vinyl and aluminum. If you have narrowed your choices to fiberglass and stone, you should make a fiberglass siding vs stone siding comparison list to choose the best material for your home and budget.
Fiberglass siding is one of the newest forms available. While fiberglass has several advantages, it also has a few disadvantages. The advantages include:
- Fiberglass is a strong and durable material.
- Moisture and water won't damage it, so buckling or warping won't be a problem.
- It resists insect infestation.
- Comes in many colors, so you have a variety of choices.
- Fiberglass is also environmentally friendly.
Some of the disadvantages are:
- The material isn't as readily available as stone or other siding materials. Only a few manufacturers currently make it.
- Fiberglass also requires installation by contractors who have experience with this newer siding material.
- Another major disadvantage of fiberglass is that it's an expensive material compared to vinyl or aluminum siding.
Stone siding is very expensive. When considering fiberglass siding vs stone siding, cost is always an important factor. However, stone siding has a few advantages that might make it worth the high cost:
- Stone protects the home from fire and water damage.
- It's also durable and lasts for the life of the home.
- Stone is a very attractive and natural material.
- The siding can be made from limestone, sandstone, granite or other types of stone. This means a great variety of colors and textures are available. No two homes with stone siding will ever look alike.
- It is also low maintenance and regulates the temperature of your home with good insulation.
Siding prices vary depending on several factors. The region you live in and the size of your home are two important issues. The overall cost includes materials and siding installation. It's often best to hire experienced contactors to install the siding.
It's hard to find an average for fiberglass siding prices because this material is still relatively new. Stone siding prices range from $15 to $30 per square foot. The actual cost for your home depends on the type of stone used and the complexity of the installation. The best way to get an accurate estimate of fiberglass siding vs stone siding prices is to contact at least three siding contractors in your area.
You need to understand the pros and cons of fiberglass siding vs stone siding before making a final decision. Once you know which material you want to use, you can use Reply! to find local contractors.