Security monitoring services best practices guide
How to choose the right security monitoring service for your home
Where do you need services?
Why should you install home security system equipment? According to Department of Justice crime statistics, a home burglary occurs every ten seconds. Five percent of homeowners will become victims, with an average loss of $1,300.
The Department of Justice data also suggests burglars are three times more likely to target homes without an alarm. Before you decide to install home security alarm system components, you'll want to read some home security system reviews, as there are many companies to choose from. It is also advantageous to know what makes up a security system and how the system works.
Security companies vary in how they arrange their equipment and monitoring services. Some offer only basic off-the-shelf configurations, while others provide a wide range of equipment and customization. Some of the large companies include ADT, Monitronics, LifeShield and Protect America, but there are many regional and local options as well. Although some allow self-installation, you might want to select a company that offers full installation. That way, the technician can show you how to properly use the system.
Here are some tips on choosing a security company:
- Use the Better Business Bureau to research about the experiences other customers have had with the company.
- Select several companies of interest and make appointments with them.
- When you speak with a sales agent, make sure to ask for a quote in writing.
- Many security services require a contract. Carefully review it, and make sure you understand the terms. Some companies provide equipment at no cost or lease. Many have service guarantees and/or warranties.
A basic security system includes the following components:
- Control panel - This acts as the brain of the system. All wiring goes here, and it typically has a backup battery in case of power interruption.
- Keypad - Uses passwords to arm/disarm the system.
- Alarm - This uses a loud noise to alert you upon detection of an intruder.
- Motion detectors - These identify the presence of a human in a room and are typically used when no one is home.
- Door and window magnets - If someone breaches one of the entry points, this will sound the alarm.
Whenever it is activated, a home security system will alert a central monitoring station. The signal can be sent over a landline, a broadband connection or a cellular system. This will prompt an agent to call you for verification via a password. If a wrong password is given or no one answers the call, authorities will be dispatched to investigate the situation.
These are just basic security options for your home. Many companies also offer fire, medical emergency, flood and carbon monoxide monitoring services. It is important to install home security alarm systems not only to protect your home, but to also save cost on your insurance premiums.
Armed with all the above information, you can make the best choice for your security needs when you decide to install home security system components. Reply! has many home security system reviews that can help you decide what companies to call for quotes.